1. The violin will have to be tuned before it _____.
A. is played B. should play C. plays D. is being played 2. By the time you arrive in London, we _____ in Europe for two weeks.
A. had stayed B. shall stay C. will have stayed D. have been staying 3. The squirrel was lucky that it just missed _______.
A. catching B. to be caught C. being caught D. to catch 4. The patient was warned ____ oily food after the operation.
A. to eat not B. eating not C. not to eat D. not eating 5. The boy wanted to ride his bicycle in the street, but his mother told him ___ . A. not to B. not to do C. not do it D. do not to 6. All the preparations for the task _____, and we’re ready to start.
A. completed B. complete C. had been completed D. have been completed 7. I thought I ____ the door, but it is still open A. had closed B. was closing C. have closed D. would close 8. --Have you moved into the new house? --Not yet, the rooms _____.
A. are being painted B. are painting C. are painted D. have been painting 9. You don't need to describe her. I ___ her several times. A. had met B. have met C. met D. meet 10. --- Oh, dear. I forgot the air tickets. --- You ______ something.
A. have left B. are always leaving C. are leaving D. always left 11. He ______ at the meeting, but his heart attack prevented him.
A. will speak B. is going to speak C. had to speak D. was going to speak 12. I ____ ping-pong quite well, but I haven’t had time to play since the New Year. A. will play B. have played C. played D. play
13. I can guess you were in a hurry. You _____ your sweater inside out. A. had worn B. wore C. were wearing D. are wearing 14. The traffic in our city is already good and it ______ even better. A. gets B. got C. has got D. is getting
15. We agreed ____ here but so far she hasn’t turned up yet.
A. having met B. meeting C. to meet D. to have met 16. The missing boys were last seen ____ near the river.
A. playing B. to be playing C. play D. to play 17. —The light in the office is still on. —Oh, I forgot ____ .
A. turning it off B. turn it off C. to turn it off D. having turned it off 18. There are a few books on the shelf. But only one of them is ____ .
A. worth to read B. worth being read C. worthy of reading D. worth reading 19. She worked late into the night, ____ a long speech for the president. A. to prepare B. prepared C. preparing D. was preparing 20. The girl has to practise ____ the piano two hours per day.
A. to play the B. to play C. playing the D. playing 21. Have you had the nurse _______ your son s temperature?
A. to take B. taking C. take D. taken 22. Stop running and you will feel your heart _______ .
A. beat B. beating C. beats D. is beating 23. Once ____, it will never be forgotten.
A. see B. seen C. you see D. to be seen
24. He will not come unless _______.
A. invited B. inviting C. isn’t invited D. to invite
25. —I don’t understand that sentence. —Let’s get John ____ that sentence again. A. explain B. to explain C. explained D. explaining 26. —How was the concert last night?—It was ____ .
A. disappoint B. disappointed C. to disappoint D. disappointing 27. Mary said. “Give me a chair _____.”
A. to sit B. sat on C. sit on D. to sit on
28. —Did you say I could use your car? —Yes certainly, but would you mind ____ just yet? A. not to take it B. taking it not C. not take it D. not taking it 29. —A man was killed. —Where is the body of the ____ man?
A. murder B. murdered C. murdering D. having murdered 30. Mr. Brown came in two students. A. follow B. followed C. followed by D. to follow 31. Badly ,the soldier continued to fire back at the enemy. A. wound B. wounded C. wounding D. wounds
32. from heart trouble for years, Professor White has to take some medicine wherever he goes. A. Suffered B. Suffering C. Having suffered D. Being suffered
33. _______, he is to blame. A. Having not passed the test B. Not passed the test C. His pupil not having passed the test D. Not his pupil passing test 34．With a high way ____ here, the government has to solve a lot of problems at once. A. built B. building C. to build D. to be built 35. Once lost, ______________. A. it is hard to get such a chance again. B. to get such a chance will be difficult C. one can never get such a chance again D. such a chance might never come again 36. ，tears came into his eyes. A. Moved by her words B. Moving by her words C. He was moved by her words D. Because he was moved by her words 38. _____ in her best suit, the girl tried to make herself _____ at the party. A. Dressed; noticed B. Dressing; noticing C. Dressed; noticing D. Dressing; noticed 39. ---Why weren’t you at the meeting? ---I ____ an important visitor from the UK in my office. A. expected B. had been expecting C. was expecting D. had expected 40. her accent, she must be from Northeast China.
A. Judge by B. Judged by C. Judged from D. Judging from 41. , all the students shouted and jumped with joy. A. To be excited B. Having been excited C. Exciting D. Being excited 42. from the moon, the earth looks like a water-covered globe. A. Watching B. Looked C. Seen D. Seeing
43. the place on the map, they discussed which way they should take. A. Having located B. Locating C. Located D. To locate 44. , they walked slowly across the street. A. Guiding the blind B. The boy guiding the blind old man C. Guided the blind old man D. The boy guided the blind old man 45. by the story in the movie, we could not help tears. A. Deeply moved…shed B. Moved deeply…shed
C. Deeply moved…shedding D. Moved deeply…shedding 46. _____ his age, the little boy read quite well. A. Considering B. Considered C. Consider D. Having considered